Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Holaaaa!   I'm actually
in Sandy!! President Lansing received last-minute revelation and
re-assigned me to the Galena Branch in Sandy, Utah. President Lansing
is an inspired man. When I first heard I was going to Riverton it
honestly didn't really feel right. But now I know that Sandy is where
I'm supposed to be and there are people and miracles here waiting for
me. Also this is the first time that this branch has split
missionaries AND the first time it has had sister missionaries!! So we
are super pumped to be here and the branch is so excited to have us :)
This branch is so so small! Especially compared to Westland! But we
are going to see so many baptisms that it will become a ward, I'm sure
of it :)

My new companion! Her name is Hermana Fuentes and this is her last
transfer in the mission. I'm just sending everyone home! Hahah but she
is very hard-working and motivated and helps keep me on track. Our new
goal is to only speak in Spanish when we are outside of the
house......to say the least that has been very hard and frustrating
sometimes, but soooo good for me. She is from Georgia, but she grew up
in Mexico City so she is also fluent in Spanish and English. She is a
good example to me and I know that I will learn a lot from her this
transfer.

Since we are new in the area, that means we are also white-washing! My
second time! White-washing is when you completely start over with
everything. It is insanely hard and the very best test of patience. I
think the Lord is sending me to white-wash so often because He knows
how much more patience I need haha. But Sandy is awesome. We pass by
the Real Salt Lake soccer stadium everyday!! The season-opener is
March 4th so maybe we'll have to sneak over ;)

My new home! It is the basement of a less-active member couple and
they are super sweet. They don't know English and they make Hispanic
food all the time that I can smell so it basically feels like Mexico
haha. The only problem, though, is that we don't have wifi...so we
have to plan for the day on our iPads separately and then make extra
time to go to a chapel and use church wifi to sync and update
everything. Also I can't read talks for personal study anymore unless
I download it the night before or something.. :/ but it's all good!
It's helping me be more prepared!

Fun fact of the week! I learned how to make tamales!!! They are one of
my favorite things in this world. :) It was super fun! However, the
salsa that this sister made for them was super picante...like 3 chilis
picante (spicy). My tongue is getting used to it though! They say the
more picante you eat, the looser your tongue gets and then you can
speak the language better. I don't know if I believe that yet....

Spiritual thought for the week!
So the other day, Hermana Fuentes and I were trying to contact a lot
of the referrals we had received of Hispanics in the area. We had so
many people to contact that we decided to pray and ask God what we
should do. We felt prompted to go to a specific house on State Street.
State Street is usually super busy, so we parked in a neighborhood
nearby and decided to walk to the house because it was a nice day
(speaking of which it has felt like Spring all week! 50s almost
everyday!). Anyway, we were walking down the street and stopped to
talk to this man who was taking out his garbage. He wasn't Hispanic,
but we talked to him anyway. The conversation was all over the place
and he kept bringing up random topics. Finally, we were about to say
goodbye when he said, "yeah I can definitely see the love you guys
emanate though. Thank you." This man might not have done anything with
the pamphlet we gave him or he may have forgotten about us the minute
we left; but maybe not. Maybe he's making better decisions in his
life! We never know. But what we do know is that God needed us there
to lift this man's spirits. And the Hispanic home we went to? No one
was home. Sometimes God uses us as instruments in His hands for
purposes we aren't expecting. That is what we do as missionaries and
as disciples of Christ. We all have been called and we have promised
to bear one another's burdens and to comfort those that stand in need
of comfort. We had a completely different miracle planned-out in our
minds: to find and teach a new Hispanic family and bring them unto
Christ. But that particular day God needed us somewhere else. I have
such a strong testimony that this is His work. That He is gathering
His sheep back into the fold-- one at a time. And however I may be
able to help do that is up to Him! That's what is so rewarding about
being a missionary--with a name tag or not--that we get to share the
light and joy we gain from the Gospel with the world! And then get to
see that light change lives! and I testify that it does.

Have a great week!! Jesus loves you!! :)

Les amo!!
Hermana Daniels



No comments:

Post a Comment