Monday, January 9, 2017

Holaaaaa como estan?! This week was super super good!! I'll just
number the highlights of the week again because there were so many
good things that don't really relate so here we go:

(Also quick shout-out/moment of silence for Princess Leah.... RIP. And
also I heard about her heart attack the day-of so don't worry I'm
still updated with the important things of the world ;) I just forgot
to mention that back when it happened)

1) Eduardo Candela Cruz got baptized!! I can't remember if I told you
about him, but he was the one who when we knocked on his door, he
opened it right away and said "What church are you from? I want to go
to your church! Where is it and when does it start?!" He was so so so
prepared to hear and accept the Gospel--definitely a huge miracle.
Except we only taught him about half of the lessons because he was
getting too flirty with my companion so the elders had to teach him
"man-to-man" haha. He was so excited for his baptism though; it was great to
see how happy he was/is. Also the elders were talking to him about the
gift of the holy ghost during a lesson that night after his baptism,
and he asked them if I could do the confirmation at church on
Sunday... Hahah don't worry the elders explained the priesthood to
him. I was flattered though 😊

2) So also I don't know if you remember Joel, but he was the little 11
year-old boy that got baptized on Christmas. His older sister got
baptized back in July I think, and I think I mentioned that his mom
was interested in taking the lessons? Well she definitely was and we
have only taught her twice since Joel's baptism, but she is SO
prepared!! She has had an incredibly hard life and she is so strong
and faithful and God has been guiding her her whole life. In the last
lesson we had with her, we invited her to be baptized as well and she
accepted a date for the 21st of January!! And then she was like "I
know you guys don't drink coffee though..." and in my head I was like
"ah man here we go..." but then she continued "but I actually made it
my New Year's resolution to stop drinking coffee...I would drink 4-5
cups a day but since the new year I have only had water." !!!! She is
just changing and teaching herself and she is so prepared for
baptism!! God knows her heart and has blessed her so much and we are
so excited for her! She knows this is what is right already and it is
incredible to see her entire demeanor change so much and so rapidly.
That family is awesome!

3) The other night we went over to an investigator's house to teach
this couple named Ana and Argenis. Well Ana was the only one home, so
we were reading the Book of Mormon with her and just talking and then
when we were about to leave, Argenis got home. We had to go to another
appointment, but we just said hi to Argenis and asked how he was. Then
he said to us "Hermana Daniels, every time I see you I think of my son
because he's looking for a girlfriend and I told him I know "una
misionera taaaan preciosa" aka super cute missionary that is teaching
us right now."  .....ahhhhh hahah it was so awkward/weird and as you
can imagine my face got bright red. Haha and then his wife was like
"Ah! Perdon!" Like ah! I'm so sorry!! Haha fun night. Also his son is
27 and lives in Venezuela so don't worry that's not happening/I won't
get married off yet ;)

4) English class!! We get to help teach the English class and it is so
fun! It is just at the church building every Sunday afternoon and
there's usually a pretty good turn out. We've only done it once, but I
love it so much. Hahah I just love listening to their accents mostly.
And I've never really realized how weird/hard English is! They had
trouble saying words like "does" "these" "what" "do" and "shoes." Lots
of fun :)

5) I got "investigator-dumped" for the first time this week. It was
soooo sad. Our friend Cipriano from Africa told us that he simply
cannot ask God if the Book of Mormon is true because that would be
sinning because the Bible is the only truth. Well we showed him James
1:5  and explained that God wants us to ask Him lots
of questions all the time because we aren't perfect and we learn new
things every day! We didn't bash, just listened to him so that he
wouldn't be mad or anything because we can't force someone else's
agency just like God can't force our agency; all we can do is testify
of what we know to be true and let the Spirit work with him. But he
had a really hard time accepting the Book of Mormon and told us that
he doesn't want to do this anymore so he said we are on his "list of
good friends" and welcome in his home (because his sister is Mormon)
but he doesn't want to talk about the Gospel anymore. It's so sad to
be closed out and rejected and pushed away, but how can we expect it
to be perfect and easy with every investigator or everyone we meet
when it was never easy for Jesus Christ? His own friends and people
rejected Him and still do. We as missionaries have to go through that
as well in order to come closer to Christ and honestly, it is so worth
it. I am more and more thankful every day for my Savior and His
sacrifice. It is so wonderful to me.

6) This past week it has snowed A TON!! Like we got a new 6 inches
every night for about 3 or 4 days straight. But then on Sunday it
ice-rained-- there was a literal sheet of ice all around our car after
church! But last night and today it has warmed back up to the 30s and
40s and it rained this morning which melted almost all of the snow! It
almost feels like Spring! Haha I hope it stays!

7) One of our 9 year-old investigators named Angie had a birthday
party the other day and she saved each of us a little goodie bag!
However it was completely full of Mexican candy.....I hate Mexican
candy haha. It was super super sweet of her, so I obviously kept it,
but I let Hermana López and Gonzalez split my candy. I attached some
pictures of some of it to show you how weird Mexican candy is. All of
it is either chili, lime, chicken, or salt flavored. I was going to
send some home for you all to try it, but I didn't want it to go to
waste since my companions love it and you guys would probably not like
it either lol.

8) The missionary-celebrity status is real. Hahah every time we are at
the store or the gas station or the one time we went to a restaurant
or outside shoveling or walking down the street (20 feet from our
car), people wave at us or honk at us or go out of their way to say hi
to us. It is weird but so great haha I love it. Also just a quick
stereotype update: missions in Utah are hard. People say "oh Utah?
You'll baptize every week and be running from lesson to lesson and
never knock on doors and always have someone to teach because of all
of the member-referrals." Well we actually knock on doors every day
and we only have real lessons with people if we catch them at home at
a good time. No one ever calls us to confirm appointments or anything
like that. And we rarely get referrals from members because all of
their friends are either members (especially in a Spanish ward where
they don't know a lot of other people) or they really shut-out Mormons
because in Utah it is more of a culture than a religion. That's
something huge I've learned recently is that a lot of people here say
they are Mormon, but don't even go to church or keep the commandments
or anything. And that is so hard! People that move here from Central
and South America already shut their hearts to hearing the Gospel
because they think it is a culture and not a religion. Ah sorry for
the slight rant, but I just want to stress how important it is to be a
member of the church in other parts of the world and country! I am so
grateful I grew up in Michigan and had that firm foundation of a
religion--not just something to follow because everyone else is
following it. So be good examples for me back home!! Be strong and of
good courage!! Be not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ!! :))))

I love you all so much!! I hope everyone is back to health and that
things are going well. 

Have a great week!
les amo!! :)

Hermana Daniels

No comments:

Post a Comment